Thursday, May 26, 2011

Be A Responsible Pet Owner

.
Moo!  Moo moo moo moo moo moo moo.  Moo moo moo?  Moo moo moo.  (Ooops!  Sorry, I forgot to hit the "Cow-To-English" translator button!)

Hi there!  Holly Cow here.  Thank you once again for reading my blog.  This week's blog entry is going to be a little different than most.  I was asked by my good friend Dan Radcliffe if he could use this blog forum to express some very important thoughts and share some information.  Once he told me what he wanted to say, I naturally said yes.  So, without any further moo... er, further ado, here's Dan.

Thank you Holly.  For those of you who don't know me, I'm a very close personal friend of Holly Cow.  I've known her all her life. 

I would like to take this opportunity to jump up on a soapbox and share a few thoughts with everyone concerning responsible pet ownership.  I live in San Antonio, Texas.  It's a busy city, with lots and lots of people.  Which means lots and lots of cars and traffic.  It also means lots and lots of stray dogs and cats.  Cars and stray animals are not a good mix.  Every day, yes every single day, as I drive through the city, I see at least one dog or cat who didn't make it across traffic.  Some were strays, I'm sure, and some were probably some one's pets. 

Friends, we simply have no shortage of dogs and cats in this country.  If you own a dog or a cat, please please please take the responsibility seriously.  Keep your animals indoors, or at the very least on a leash when outdoors.  And by all means, have your pets spayed or neutered.  Animal overpopulation is a serious problem.  There is no excuse for not having your pet spayed or neutered.  If you take on the responsibility of pet ownership, you are responsible for every aspect of that animal's health and well-being.  If you can't afford the procedure, there are lots of options.  Here's one in San Antonio:  The Spay-Neuter Assistance Program offers low-cost spay and neuter procedures for those who qualify.  If you're not in San Antonio, check with your local animal shelters, the ASPCA or the Humane Society for options.  Or ask your vet if there are any affordable options they can offer.  A simple lack of funds is not an acceptable excuse for ignoring this responsibility.  If you took on the responsibility of owning the pet, this is part of the responsibility.  

I've heard other excuses as to why people won't get their pets spayed or neutered.   These are from people who are misinformed.  They think the animals are happier if they're not fixed (not true) or that they're depriving the animal of something by having them fixed (also not true) and a list of other excuses, none of them based on facts.  Here are a couple of links to help explain the truth behind the myths regarding spaying and neutering your pets:

Pet Overpopulation Myths and Facts

The Truth Behind Spaying and Neutering Myths


Friends, I know there are a lot of things to think about when deciding to adopt a dog or cat.  But spaying and neutering a no-brainer.  Have it done. 

Thank you for your time and attention.
~Dan~

Thank you, Dan.  Well pet owners, you heard the man -- I wouldn't have given him the forum here on my blog  if I didn't agree with him.  Take care of your pets! 

Until next time, this is Holly Cow, thank you for reading "Holly Cow's World".

~Holly~

No comments:

Post a Comment