Wednesday, March 9, 2011

The Virtue Of Peace

Hello to all of my followers! 
Thank you for your support, I appreciate everyone's kind words about my little blog.  Some of you have asked me how can I possibly be typing a blog since I'm a cow and I have hooves and not fingers...  Well, I don't actually type, I dictate.  My friend Oliver the Duck does they typing! 


Also, I've been asked recently what kind of a cow I am.  Well, I would have thought it was obvious, but to answer the question, I'm a Holstein. 
A few facts about us Holsteins...
My ancestors were originally bred in northern Holland (which is how I got my name, "Holly Cow").  Holsteins found their way to North America around the early 17th century, so my ancestors were probably here before yours.  We're a larger breed of cow, larger than Guernseys or other dairy cows.  We're the most popular dairy cows in America.  Our colors vary from black and white spotted, to mostly black, to mostly white and sometimes even brown and white.  I like to change it up for the occasion, which is why I'm sometimes black and white, sometimes brown and white, and sometimes a whole variety of fun colors.  (But hey, I'm a cartoon cow, so I'm entitled!)  Anyhow, thank you for asking, and now on with this week's blog: "The Virtue Of Peace".

This week, I'd like to talk about virtues.  First of all, a definition of "virtue" is in order.  What are virtues?  Well, the dictionary definition of virtue is a character trait or quality valued as being good in and of itself.  There are a lot of virtues, and in the coming weeks I would like to touch on some of them.  This week I'm going to focus on "Peace".  Yes, peace is a virtue.  According to the 17th century philospher, Baruch Benedict de Spinoza:
"Peace is not an absence of war, it is a virtue, a state of mind, a disposition for benevolence, confidence, justice."
I like this definition.  It makes one aware that there is a lot to the concept of "Peace", but it's not that hard to understand. There are many definitions, many ways to describe it, but I think I can safely say that no matter how you define it, everyone  agrees it's a good thing.  Something to strive for, appreciate, and be happy about!

Apparenty a lot of my friends agree.  Here are some examples of "Peace" designs that make me happy:
Dan's "Peace Frog" binder here is fun and makes me smile, I just love the silly looking frog!

And how about this design by Kirsten Edwards?

PEACE Sign with Leaves Postage stamp
customize stamp designs on zazzle.com
That Peace Sign is made with leaves!  How cool is that?


Peace shirt
Peace by Ricaso_Graphics
Browse zazzle for a different shirtzazzle
Then we have the far out funky Peace shirt above by Ricaso Graphics.  A very cool image from a very cool designer.

Deep peace of the flowing air to you.... magnet
Browse more Scotland Magnets
And how about this image beautifully captured by Cathy "Bit" Devine, of Treave Castle?  Lovely!

And of course there are simple little things that bring us peace, like watching bubbles. 


Or a simple Peace symbol, like this necklace over at Dan's shop.


And there's this "Randon Signs Of Peace" shirt, "Hippie Approved", by a very cool individual indeed.

Pro Peace Yellow Flower 1 Shirt shirt
Become a clothing affiliate for Zazzle.
Kirsten Edwards has a whole shop full of Pro Positive designs including the Pro Peace shirt above.
PEACE Winter Sunrise Design magnet
I'll leave you this week with this design by Ruth Jamieson.  It says it all.




Peace!
~Holly~

No comments:

Post a Comment